Not only is Grade 5 Music Theory a prerequisite for taking higher level practical grades, understanding the mechanics of music supports practical musicianship and enables musical independence. Students can expect to see notable improvements in their sight reading and aural skills following this course, not to mention a newfound confidence to express their own musical voice through composition and improvisation. Achieving musical fluency also allows practical lessons to focus on musical maturity, expression and advanced technique work. Therefore, students who study theory often advance much quicker in their practical skills.
Who Can Learn?
Students of any age can learn music theory but it is often an accompaniment to practical instrumental or singing lessons.
I am happy to teach students of all ages and experience levels and there is no need to be having practical lessons with me (although you are most welcome to!).
Whether you wish to learn individually or in a small group with similar students, I am happy to accommodate your requirements.
Learning With Me
- Choose to follow the ABRSM grade 1-5 syllabus, pursue individual development goals, or learn just for fun!
- Visit my dedicated home studio in Lodge Moor (Sheffield, S10) or learn online via Zoom, FaceTime, WhatsApp, etc.
- Book weekly lessons of 30 minutes for beginners, or longer if you wish.
- Individual lessons cost £18 for 30 minutes, group rates also available.
- Get in touch to discuss your preferred times – lessons available daytimes, evenings, and weekends.
“Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.”